I cut my hair short and it does not define me

Tuesday, June 20, 2017


Four years ago when I first decided to cut my hair short, people kept on asking me why did I do it. I had my reasons back then and it was a way for me to express myself. Ever since I was experimenting and trying out different (crazy) hairstyles  from changing my hair color to shaving the sides of my hair, grow it out a bit then cut it again. It has been like that ever since. What bothered me was every time I change my hairstyle, people would ask me if I was okay, if I feel fine or if something's bothering me. Cutting my hair drastically might be a surprise to you but it doesn't mean I do not feel fine and it does not mean that I've changed my sexual preference. It was an endless list. Sometimes, I feel a bit remorse.

Over time, the definition of beauty has changed a lot whether it's body shape, skin color or clothing choices. Growing up in a very big and conservative family, being beautiful was defined as one who has fair skin tone, long hair, skinny body, etc. I didn't have those qualities so I was called names but that was ages ago. I am glad to have my parents who always got my back every time people would call me as such. Maybe that was the reason why I was never fond of Barbie or any Disney princesses. They were unrealistic. They were all too girly for me.

I might not look as girly as I should or as people expect me to be. Who cares about the opinion of others, right? No matter what you do, people will always have a say. It was one of the best things I learned from my sister — what others think does not matter. To be honest, I feel more myself whenever I have my hair cut short. I feel free. I feel more comfortable with myself and as cliche as it sounds, I felt empowered. Of course, I feel kilig whenever someone compliments my hairstyle and admires me for having such brave soul. In other words, I cannot tell you how nice it is to have something that actually complements me rather than something that others think looks good.
At the end of the day, it was my hair and it will grow back.

To all the girls, your haircut or your looks does not define you. Always remember that. Do what you want to do. Free yourself from all the negativity. Treat yourself better. You define you. Be confident. Love yourself and be happy. At the end of the day, what matters the most is how you feel. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram