On why I want to pursue medicine

Tuesday, June 21, 2016


"So tell me... why do you want to become a doctor?" the doctor-slash-interviewer said. At first, I couldn't find the exact words to tell her why. Sure, I wanted to help people but is that enough answer to get me in? Is that really what I wanted? Is that the reason why I am here?

Pursuing medicine is not my life-long dream. It never occurred to me that one day, I am going to enter medical school. However, I guess there comes a time in every students' life, where you question your career choice. I am just lucky that it hit me right before I graduate from college. I realized that this thing I just spent four years of my life was not really my thing. I don't see myself as anything else but a doctor. I just wanted more. I believe there's so much more to learn and to experience. I guess it's just that I am in no way ready to not be a student.

So I paused, breathe, smiled and told her that I wanted to become a doctor because I wanted to. Yes, I want to help people, but at the same time, I also want to be involved in researches. Science is one of the least priority in our country and I want the people to know that there's so much more in it. I wanted them to know that Science doesn't have to be boring. I want to be able to share my knowledge to these people. In medicine, you can learn, research, teach and above all, interact in a most human way with those people in need. That is why I am convinced that medicine is the right career choice for me.

And that happened. I am not sure what medical school has in store for me, but I know this will be a rough road. I know it's a tough choice and frankly, I am not even sure if I am going to survive. But one thing is for sure, I badly want this and I'm going to survive med school even if that means that I have to sacrifice the supposed best years of my youth.

After all, there's no turning back now.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram