Career Talk-ing

Sunday, September 06, 2015


We all have things we want to achieve in our lives – to become successful in our careers, to be fit and so on. Setting goals gives your life direction and boosts motivation. By knowing precisely what you want to achieve, you know where you have to concentrate your efforts.

However, I realized in the process that when it comes to actually getting things done, you sometimes forget the little things that sometimes matter the most. You’re only focused in what’s in the future rather on what’s in the present.

“I’m tired. I want to sleep. I’ll get enough sleep when I reach my goal, anyway.”

This happens to be my mantra during exams week. The problem with it is, I was actually depriving myself of sleep and I was putting my health in line. I only realized it when I stared at myself in the mirror – I looked tired even if I had enough sleep. The fact that I’m only nineteen, I already looked as if I was already thirty.


Then, I read an article online which helped me improve the way I should approach in achieving my goals. He suggested that instead of setting goals, there is much better way to do things and it all comes down to two things: goals and systems.

( Dress from FPFashionPassion, Chucks from Converse, Aviators from Ray-ban, Drawstring Bag from Under Armour )

He said that, “Goals can provide direction and even push you forward in the short-term, but eventually a well-designed system will always win. Having a system is what matters. Committing to the process is what makes the difference.” And I couldn’t agree more.


I realized that whatever goal we have set in our minds, over the course of time, it always changes. We cannot predict the future. We try to every time we set our goals, though we have no idea what problems could arise along the way. Once we didn’t achieve our goals, we feel like we’re a failure.

Focus on what’s in the present and let the future unfold along the way. It’s more fun and exciting and I’m happy. I guess that’s what to live your life really means.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram