18 Things I Learned The Year I Turned 18Saturday, August 08, 2015
Every year, I always try to reflect upon the past year and list down progress, setbacks and of course, the things I learned. Turning a year older is such a big deal for me — with it came a lot of personal growth and learning experiences. So I decided to share them here.
1. Make sure to live your life the way you want it to be. Live in the moment. It’s impossible not to dwell into the past or be excited for the future, but you should also focus on the now. You'll never be as young as you are right now. Life's too short.
2. Get enough sleep. Sleep as much as you can because the sleepless nights are on their way. Learn how to take care of yourself, mentally, physically, and spiritually. Nobody’s going to do it for you and nobody can do it but YOU.
3. Never settle for anything less than butterflies.
4. Know what you stand for and fight for it. Do not let anyone to try to convince you otherwise. If you feel like someone is crossing your boundaries, talk to that someone. There will always be people who will try to take advantage of you. Set clear boundaries and don’t let it happen.
5. Mistakes are part of your life but it'll teach you important lessons. The biggest mistake you can make is doing nothing because you’re too scared to make a mistake.
7. Save up! You never know when you'll need it.
8. Discrimination exists everywhere. Treat fellow humans as people.There are a lot of people who suffered/are suffering because of this.
9. Education is very important but bad grades does not equate your intelligence.
10. Appreciate the little things - the smallest gestures of appreciation and love from people around you.
11. Kiss, hug, talk to your parents/aunt/uncle/grandparents every day. Show them that you love them. Thank them for all the sacrifices they've done for you.
12. Learn to say 'thank you' and 'sorry'.
13. Write your feelings down. Write letters to the people you love.
14. Being alone is more than fine. This one took a bit, but I finally find solace in moments I can just be alone.
15. Negative people and toxic relationships do nothing but bring you down. Surround yourself with positive people.
16. Collect experiences, not things.
17. Find your passion, pursue it, but make sure you can make a living out of it.
Photos taken two years ago when I had the courage to cut my hair like this.
I realized that growing up is a never ending process. It'll be full of ups and downs. It can be confusing, full of self-doubt and all. Learn to enjoy the ride because life is amazing and beautiful.Take risks and never be afraid to try something new. Love yourself and the people around you. Life is weird and uncertain and hard. Tomorrow is not guaranteed; don't take it for granted.
P.S. Who's going to #NeverlandManila2015ZeddTCT tonight? See you!! :p