The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Friday, May 29, 2015

Instagram photo by Bianca Osteria (@biancaosteria)

Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning....
Welcome to forever. 
BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?  (Source: Goodreads)
Rating:  ★  ★  ★  ★  


The first few chapters are a bit boring but you’ll find it fun eventually. I love how the author started from zero to ten. Reading this book is like riding a roller coaster. At one moment, you’re crying and another, you’re laughing. There’s also something creative about the world the author created. I loved how I can picture it all inside my head. I loved that the characters are so alive. What I loved the most is that this book is not the usual, perfect-guy-falls-in-love-with-the-ordinary-girl story. There’s something more in the story. There’s a concept of friendship, heartbreak, family, grief and moving on which gives the story a bit of deeper perspective.

What I loved about in this kind of book is that, it doesn't just give you so much ‘feels’ but also, it makes you wonder, think and at the end of the day, learn a thing or two. It throws you bits and bits of the reality without you knowing it. I listed down some of my favorite excerpts from the book.
Angel, he whispered. “Don’t talk about something you don’t understand.”
He paused for a long while. “I'm not sure if there's anything I could have done. I guess I'm not sure what I'm trying to prove. Love hurts us all, no matter how old or young we are.” He glanced off camera for a moment, and when he looked back, his eyes were full of tears. But I suppose my main point here is that as parents, we should all be talking to our children more often about how they feel. About what’s really happening in their lives.” He offered a sad smile. “And we should be listening.
Just like Jacob, Larkin made me realize that no matter how much you think you know a person – no matter how pretty they are, or how together they act, or how popular they seem, you can never know what their lives are really like. Not unless you ask them. And not unless you're listening.
“In the midst of happiness or despair, in sorrow or in joy, in pleasure or in pain: Do what is right and you will be at peace. In life, there is no greater gift than peace, except love. May you always have love.
Overall, I really did enjoy this book. I am recommending this to those who love contemporary reads. It is a well written novel that I think anyone, regardless of age, would enjoy. If you are looking for a light read and you want to take a break from your trilogy, series, dystopian, etc., this book is for you. Visit www.jessrothenberg.com to know more about Jess Rothenberg's The Catastrophic History of You and Me.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram